To paint the hull, I used Interlux Perfection. It is pretty awesome stuff. Unlike the topside paint, it is just a single part paint. I applied it using a foam rubber roller. It took me a few coats before I really figured the stuff out. The key is to do only a couple square feet at a time. After applying a couple square feet, I learned that by rolling it again super lightly that this would "tip" the paint and cause it to lay down nice and flat. Then, whatever you do, dont try go back and fix anything, just move to the next section...and be quick about it or the sections won't blend! I ended up with at least 5 coats. The only problem is this stuff is so glossy and shiny that any little ripple or bump is easy to see and I found myself wishing I'd spent a few more weeks fairing the hull! But overall, it looks really nice. Unless you get within a foot of it and really examine it, it looks like it was sprayed. And hopefully out on the water, no one is ever that close to the boat!
This boat has never been built but what I'm hoping for is that if an old T-bird and a sexy little I550 got together, this boat would be their love child. For more info, check out the history section at the begining of this blog.
The boat is 26' feet long and 8' wide. With it's hard chines and tons of sail area it should go very well to windward--even in light air. I'm planning on a huge asymetrical chute for downwind which with the boats flat botom should get it planing very easily. Hopefully it'll be fast and fun!