I decided the rudder I had shaped from pink insulation foam was nice practice but that I probably needed something a bit more substantial. So I went to Fiberglass Supply and bought some actual structural foam core material. I also had my friend Mitch weld up a stainless rudder post which I sandwhiched in between some carbon and the foam.
I used the same technique for shaping this blank as I had the pink foam one. I used a template to trace the shape of the NACA foil on the end of the blank. Then I repeatedly ran it through the table saw adjusting the blade each time for the correct depth to correspond to the foil shape. I then sprayed is red and sanded down to the red refference lines that were made. Again, this worked really well. Just a bit awkward with the weight of the stainless post on one end.
This boat has never been built but what I'm hoping for is that if an old T-bird and a sexy little I550 got together, this boat would be their love child. For more info, check out the history section at the begining of this blog.
The boat is 26' feet long and 8' wide. With it's hard chines and tons of sail area it should go very well to windward--even in light air. I'm planning on a huge asymetrical chute for downwind which with the boats flat botom should get it planing very easily. Hopefully it'll be fast and fun!