Finally got my stanchions and pulpit built. I used the tubing I got a few years ago when my friend Doug was scrapping an old boat. I was able to cut up and modify things to fit my boat. A big thanks to a certain person who doesn't want to be named but who did an awesome job welding all my stainless pieces with a stick arc welder. I'm sure I'll eventually regret painting these pieces black when they start getting scratched..but right now I think they look awesome!
For lifelines, I decided to go with Amsteel by Samson. Its super tough stuff and easy to work with. Here's my eye splices at the back of the boat. They are then lashed to the rear stanchion. This way I can easily adjust the tension of the lifelines.
This boat has never been built but what I'm hoping for is that if an old T-bird and a sexy little I550 got together, this boat would be their love child. For more info, check out the history section at the begining of this blog.
The boat is 26' feet long and 8' wide. With it's hard chines and tons of sail area it should go very well to windward--even in light air. I'm planning on a huge asymetrical chute for downwind which with the boats flat botom should get it planing very easily. Hopefully it'll be fast and fun!