After bolting the halves together and smoothing and fairing the bulb, it was time to attach it to the keel fin. At first, I was having a bugger of a time drilling through the keel. I would get about an inch into it and the bit would bind and get stuck and eventually break. Finally I discovered the key to drilling lead is to keep it lubricated. If I kept spraying WD40 on the bit and in the hole, it drilled as easy as drilling wood and I had no more problems.
After bolting on the bulb, I made an epoxy fillet which I then reinforced with glass and carbon fiber.
This boat has never been built but what I'm hoping for is that if an old T-bird and a sexy little I550 got together, this boat would be their love child. For more info, check out the history section at the begining of this blog.
The boat is 26' feet long and 8' wide. With it's hard chines and tons of sail area it should go very well to windward--even in light air. I'm planning on a huge asymetrical chute for downwind which with the boats flat botom should get it planing very easily. Hopefully it'll be fast and fun!