Well, since it's now time to install my keel box, I started to worry about where to locate the thing. I had calculated a center of buoyancy...but how accurate was my calculation. I really didn't want to attach the keel only to find the boat sits way off it's lines. So I figured the best thing to do was to go float my boat. Sounds simple, but the problem was I didn't have an easy way to get the boat to the marina. Also, it's been nasty windy, rainy weather here in the Northwest. So even if we could use the boat lift, it would be tough getting any useful data with the boat bouncing around in the waves. So yesterday, I decided the best thing to do was to bring the water to the boat! So I built myself a 28'x8'x1' test tank in the shop and filled it up with water. Once word got out about what I was doing, I had no shortage of people show up to help me move the boat into the tank. (I found out later it was because they figured some sort of disaster would likely be part of the evening's activities and it was not to be misses!) The floating of the boat went off without a hitch. With no keel, it floats a bit nose high. So I had the three guys go inside and simulate the weight of the keel. By moving just over a foot forward of the center of the buoyancy, the boat floats level. So with this info and a few more calculations, I will now be able to mount the keel with confidence!
Thanks to Chad, Dan, Dave, Erik, Kris, Michael, and Mitch for the use of your muscles and ballast. Sorry there wasn't a flood or any other disasters to entertain you guys! (and thanks to my wife Denise for taking the pictures so that people would actually believe I went sailing in the garage)
The toughest part of this little adventure was keeping my boys out of the tank today as I was filling it up. They kept trying to convince me we need to leave this thing in the garage all winter long. After we were done with Vertigo, they launched their El Toro dingy and paddle around for a while. Too much fun!