My adventures and probably misadventures in building "Vertigo" a custom racing sailboat
Friday, March 11, 2011
Mast Compression Beam
The compression post is installed. Now some of you may recall I mentioned planning to install an aluminum post. That was my plan. My friend Mitch even had a heavy duty thick walled piece of tubing for me. But then I started figuring how I needed to put on some sort of metal end brackets and would have to measure the length perfectly and get the angle right on the first try and would still need some sort of wood block to match the contour of the cabin top. I decided it would be easier to just build a hollow post out of clear yellow pine. It ended up being 3"x2.25" and only weighed 3lbs. I figure it should take around 6500lbs of compression (which is probably more than the floor will! :) so it should be plenty strong. I was able to use the sander to sculpt the top and bottom to perfectly match the contours of the floor and ceiling. This post was the last structural component on the inside of the boat. Now I need to do a bit more fiberglass reinforcing. Then it will be time to sand, fair, and paint the inside of the boat. Making progress!
This boat has never been built but what I'm hoping for is that if an old T-bird and a sexy little I550 got together, this boat would be their love child. For more info, check out the history section at the begining of this blog.
The boat is 26' feet long and 8' wide. With it's hard chines and tons of sail area it should go very well to windward--even in light air. I'm planning on a huge asymetrical chute for downwind which with the boats flat botom should get it planing very easily. Hopefully it'll be fast and fun!