Thursday, September 1, 2011

Painting The Deck



Before I painted the decks, I added some toerails.  These go from the foredeck area and extend back past the chainplate area.  I went to Lowes and found some 1"x2" vinyl trim stock.  I then ripped them into the size and shape I wanted with the tablesaw and sanded them smooth.  I then bonded and filleted them onto the deck.  I also added a few screws from underneath.
I ended up painting the decks and topsides with a 2 part paint by interlux.  It definitely came out nice and glossy and seems pretty durable.  Next I put the non-skid on.  I used KiwiGrip which is awesome stuff.  Just mask off the area, trowl on a small area, then use a textured roller to even it out and give it grip.  Then do another section and sort of blend with the roller.  One important thing I learned was as soon as an area is done, pull off the masking tape to keep an nice sharp line.  I was pleasantly suprised with how easy it was to get a really consistent texture and how proffesional it looked when I was done. 


My only screw up was that since I had a lot of area to cover and didnt want to run out (or buy another gallon..the stuff is kind of pricey) I put it on a bit thin.  When I was done, I still had half the can left.  So I retaped the boat and went back over with another layer.  The second coat went just as easy as the first and now I have a really nice thick nonskid coating.  So it all turned out well, it just would of been nice to of only done it once!

2 comments:

Rik said...

Glad to see action again. Looking good.

Shannon Buys said...

Thanks Rik!
I'm actually getting close to finishing the boat so I figured I'd better get the blog caught up.