My adventures and probably misadventures in building "Vertigo" a custom racing sailboat
Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Continuing my work on the keel plug. First I filled the skeleton frame with spray foam. This was very cool as I ended up with something that looked like a giant grub larva..my boys were especially impressed. Once the foam had cured, I used a hacksaw blade to saw along the frames and bring the shape back to a bulb. A little sanding, and now I'm filling it with bondo.
I'm heading off to work until Monday. Hopefully I can make some more progress next week!
This boat has never been built but what I'm hoping for is that if an old T-bird and a sexy little I550 got together, this boat would be their love child. For more info, check out the history section at the begining of this blog.
The boat is 26' feet long and 8' wide. With it's hard chines and tons of sail area it should go very well to windward--even in light air. I'm planning on a huge asymetrical chute for downwind which with the boats flat botom should get it planing very easily. Hopefully it'll be fast and fun!